Ride to Pikes Peak

An opportunity for a mother and son to do something special for Polycystic Kidney Disease, for organ donation and for us.

My Photo
Name:

In 1806, Zebulon Pike traveled west and sighted Pikes Peak. We biked 990 miles along his route and then ran the Pikes Peak Marathon. We are so grateful for the opportunity to raise PKD awareness. PKD caused the failure of Pat’s kidneys. A transplant saved her life eight years ago. Pat’s brothers, sisters and mother were afflicted with PKD, seven in all. Pat describes how PKD affected her life and televised news features are in the "News Coverage" link on the left margin.

Friday, August 11, 2006

We need this

Tonight I am so grateful. What a privilege mom and I have been given to be supported by friends in our effort to raise PKD awareness, fund research and encourage organ donors. I thought of this while riding and have been eager to type it. Mom and I received these two emails. Following are excerpts:

“While my family’s struggle with this disease has been a continuous one, my personal fight has only recently begun. I really haven’t shared my diagnosis with many people, but I wanted you to know that I was touched by what you've done! You've reminded me that I don’t have to fight this battle alone and that there are so many options and so much growing support for those affected!”

“Just wanted you to know I have signed the back of my license for organ donations.”


America needs this. Families and people with PKD need to know that America appreciates what they are battling. And America, you need to help by becoming organ donors to save the lives of your child’s teacher, your favorite waitress and your friends.

MISC: 245 km today. We’re a day ahead of schedule and 20 miles west of Lamar. Thanks to Max Stephenson who bought tubes and a patch kit last night and handed it off in Garden City this morning. I used one this afternoon. New pictures in photo gallery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home