Ride to Pikes Peak

An opportunity for a mother and son to do something special for Polycystic Kidney Disease, for organ donation and for us.

My Photo
Name:

In 1806, Zebulon Pike traveled west and sighted Pikes Peak. We biked 990 miles along his route and then ran the Pikes Peak Marathon. We are so grateful for the opportunity to raise PKD awareness. PKD caused the failure of Pat’s kidneys. A transplant saved her life eight years ago. Pat’s brothers, sisters and mother were afflicted with PKD, seven in all. Pat describes how PKD affected her life and televised news features are in the "News Coverage" link on the left margin.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

"People of the South Wind"

Tip: Remember obscure knowledge so you can blog it.
Kansas takes it's name from the Kaw or Kansa Indian tribe which means "People of the South Wind". It was blowing today and I was eager to turn north after Wichita and enjoy the wind at my back. Still ahead of schedule, made it to Hutchinson and are camping at Melody Acres RV Park. Rode 142km today and I guess we're about halfway.

Wi-Fi at the campsite. Much new at photo gallery and NEWS links. Thanks Patrick and Annie for getting the KLOU interview and AP wire story.

MISC: Thank you JC and KHTS for morning segment for PKD. Thanks everyone for guestbook and donating to PKD Foundation at the link to the left. Mom's camp nickname is now "Cookie": Good eating! Riding at sunrise tomorrow to beat the 100+ forecast.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(We consider David part of the 180 Team, we wanted to make sure he got this message. The 180 team is tracking him daily, watching his progress. Can't wait to see him in Colorado Springs on Friday. PIKES PEAK or BUST !!!)
E-Mail to the 180 Team

You know, at the time it sounded like a good idea…. Yeah, back in December and January, we decided. We decided to run America’s Ultimate Challenge. This is our last weekend before the race. I know that David is in the midst of our thoughts and his ride (www.ridetopikespeak.com ) and that each of us is wondering what is in store for us next week – including me. Last year, I thought I was ready. I wanted to race. I thought I trained hard last year. I read about Hydro Street, Ws, No Name Creek, Barr Camp, A-Frame, Summit …. And, I truly thought that I knew what to expect. Well, I’ve learned something from last year. Expect the worst. Expect rain and hail, lightning, wind, technical trail (not a road), rocks, altitude sickness, head aches, stomach aches, vomiting, no oxygen, expect to fall, expect cuts and blood, expect broken bones in the hand (hitting rocks as you fall), stress fractures, expect running hours longer than you anticipate, expect heat around 90’s, expect cold around 30 degrees and expect the thrill and rush that only comes when you cross the finish line. I know what to expect now. This race is real. It is tough. People have and will die on this course. This course is dangerous and brings a risk with it. Soooo, run smart and with ‘some’ caution. Avoid surges above the tree line. We have trained and trained hard – Green Rock Trail, Chubb Trail, Stairs, Bike Rides, Tornados, no power, - we have prepared together and we are ready to run this together. This is a race that each of you have volunteered to run – through dedication and hard work, we are almost ready to compete. I am proud to be running this race with the 180 team. I am proud to be affiliated with everyone on the team. We wish Zac the best in his Peak quest. James, through his injury, will enter too – his goal now is just to finish. James comes out of his cast today. Cheryl and Joanne’s goal are to make the cutoff times – as is mine. I’m excited to see how David Pokorny will perform after his long ride – and how his efforts will change PKD’s awareness. And, we still may get John Koehler entered into the marathon. My friend, Greg Jackson, and I are doing the double. Now, I don’t know what to expect. I have memories from last year. Above the tree line was so hard. I can’t imagine doing this twice. I’ve looked to David White for advice. Sobering and in my log book he states, “Jeff, run Chubb on Saturday, then run it again on Sunday. Yeah, that’ll do.” This is not a normal marathon. This is America’s Ultimate Challenge. Bottomline: We are entering a race that still has many unknowns to us. A trail that can be very friendly at one moment, then quickly can turn into your worst enemy. Over the past 3 months, we have trained together, we have suffered together, we have prepared unlike no other race. We are ready – physically and mentally - Godspeed.

Pike’s Peak Team
1. Jeff Bockhorn – Doubler (Ascent and Marathon)
2. Greg Jackson – Doubler (Ascent and Marathon)

Pike’s Peak Marathon
1. Zac Fruedenburg
2. Joanne Bockhorn
3. James Marino
4. Cheryl Bergin
5. David White
6. David Pokorny
7. Jeff Bockhorn
8. Greg Jackson

8/10/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home