Ride to Pikes Peak

An opportunity for a mother and son to do something special for Polycystic Kidney Disease, for organ donation and for us.

My Photo
Name:

In 1806, Zebulon Pike traveled west and sighted Pikes Peak. We biked 990 miles along his route and then ran the Pikes Peak Marathon. We are so grateful for the opportunity to raise PKD awareness. PKD caused the failure of Pat’s kidneys. A transplant saved her life eight years ago. Pat’s brothers, sisters and mother were afflicted with PKD, seven in all. Pat describes how PKD affected her life and televised news features are in the "News Coverage" link on the left margin.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

“If you only knew the half of it.”

Have you ever discovered that “what you thought you knew” was just the surface layer of understanding?

When my “eyes” were opened to how PKD and organ donation affected my own family, I was stunned. As a child or teen or young man, I had no idea of my mother’s feelings about having PKD. I couldn’t appreciate her experience of losing her mother, sisters and brothers to the disease, and wondering how PKD would affect her children. And, even though I was there, I didn’t fully appreciate the incredible gift the day another man’s kidney began purifying my mother’s blood.

When I began talking to people about PKD and organ donation my eyes were opened again. Beyond the weather, sports, movies and the price of gas – beyond the superficial - people are compassionate. People share stories of PKD, celebrate their loved ones and talk about the impact of organ donation. And always with organ donation there is happiness. Joy and comfort in the stories of loved ones who gave. Warmth and gratitude for those who have received.

Today I was blessed to talk with Meghan and Zanthe about their sister Brie. Brie lived with joy, happiness and a fatal heart condition. Brie registered as an organ donor. When she was sixteen and her heart failed Brie gave life and sight to others. She gave inspiration to her sisters. She made a difference in this world.

Brie’s family operates the Manitou Springs Wellness Center. Meghan is helping me get the road soreness out of my quads so I can put some trail soreness in them on Sunday. Thank you for letting me write about your sister.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home