Ride to Pikes Peak

An opportunity for a mother and son to do something special for Polycystic Kidney Disease, for organ donation and for us.

My Photo
Name:

In 1806, Zebulon Pike traveled west and sighted Pikes Peak. We biked 990 miles along his route and then ran the Pikes Peak Marathon. We are so grateful for the opportunity to raise PKD awareness. PKD caused the failure of Pat’s kidneys. A transplant saved her life eight years ago. Pat’s brothers, sisters and mother were afflicted with PKD, seven in all. Pat describes how PKD affected her life and televised news features are in the "News Coverage" link on the left margin.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Flat Kansas is fine

Great day. Did 174km today and made great time. Flat, big ring all day long. Rode Hwy54 across Kansas and was hoping for El Dorado when my second flat tire of the day, my botched fix (I pinched the replacement tube), and a coming thunderstorm conspired against us. Good enough. We're ahead of schedule and having a lot of fun. Thank God for the good weather. You can manage the heat with fluids but you hate riding into a headwind.

While riding I thought about the PKD story shared by a friend. Her college roomate has PKD and is facing renal failure. She discovered it during college. Her mother had not yet told her. The diagnosis fractured and damaged her relationship with her mother for many years. --- There is no treatment and no cure for PKD. --- Perhaps the mother hoped her daughter was spared and perhaps she wanted her daughter to not worry about PKD when there was little she could do. I don't know. What I do know is that PKD attacks families. It attacks your opportunity to have a family and live with them. I thank God that my mother is here because of an organ donor.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, Pat, and Bill -

Keep on rolling through Kansas!!! I thought of you all and PKD many times throughout the day today.

Scott V.

8/07/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home