Ride to Pikes Peak

An opportunity for a mother and son to do something special for Polycystic Kidney Disease, for organ donation and for us.

My Photo
Name:

In 1806, Zebulon Pike traveled west and sighted Pikes Peak. We biked 990 miles along his route and then ran the Pikes Peak Marathon. We are so grateful for the opportunity to raise PKD awareness. PKD caused the failure of Pat’s kidneys. A transplant saved her life eight years ago. Pat’s brothers, sisters and mother were afflicted with PKD, seven in all. Pat describes how PKD affected her life and televised news features are in the "News Coverage" link on the left margin.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

PKD at the Boston Marathon

I was at the Boston Marathon Expo with my new RTPP shirt. A young woman with her kids in a stroller stopped me. She's run marathons but had come to watch her husband race.

"When is the Ride To Pikes Peak?" she asked. "I know about the PKD walks but I haven't heard of it."

I explained that we created RTPP to raise awareness for PKD research and organ donors. She told me how PKD is in her family and her mother received a kidney transplant a few years ago and is doing well.

I couldn't help but ask, "Do you have PKD?" She does.

America, we need medical research to find some effective treatment for PKD besides organ transplants.

At the expo I stopped in an Adidas booth and recorded this video about why I run. Adidas posted it on the web. Follow this link to Reasons To Run. The 10 second video, #1395, is on the cover page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home