Ride to Pikes Peak

An opportunity for a mother and son to do something special for Polycystic Kidney Disease, for organ donation and for us.

My Photo
Name:

In 1806, Zebulon Pike traveled west and sighted Pikes Peak. We biked 990 miles along his route and then ran the Pikes Peak Marathon. We are so grateful for the opportunity to raise PKD awareness. PKD caused the failure of Pat’s kidneys. A transplant saved her life eight years ago. Pat’s brothers, sisters and mother were afflicted with PKD, seven in all. Pat describes how PKD affected her life and televised news features are in the "News Coverage" link on the left margin.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

My photo appears in TrailRunner

I'm drinking my Sunday morning coffee and pick up my TrailRunner magazine which arrived yesterday. There's a feature article about the 2005 Pikes Peak Marathon. I open it up and find a photo of myself coming down the mountain in 2005. The photo was taken near the summit, the turn around banner is in the background.

I wasn't in the story. They must have just liked the photo. Very cool and another little hint that I'm following the right path.

I was feeling great at this point in the race. I was a little lightheaded but I enjoyed a great run to the top and was flying downhill. A couple miles later (at about the treeline) I discovered the quad pounding at that tempo was more than I could maintain. I ended up slogging along at a slower pace. Unfortunately I got passed by 20 guys on the downhill. 2005 Race Results

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

I think you are crazy! And this is coming from a confirmed "running nut". But if anyone can bike to CO and then run up Pike's Peak, you can! All the best to you. Nick Whiteside

5/08/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home