Ride to Pikes Peak

An opportunity for a mother and son to do something special for Polycystic Kidney Disease, for organ donation and for us.

My Photo
Name:

In 1806, Zebulon Pike traveled west and sighted Pikes Peak. We biked 990 miles along his route and then ran the Pikes Peak Marathon. We are so grateful for the opportunity to raise PKD awareness. PKD caused the failure of Pat’s kidneys. A transplant saved her life eight years ago. Pat’s brothers, sisters and mother were afflicted with PKD, seven in all. Pat describes how PKD affected her life and televised news features are in the "News Coverage" link on the left margin.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Blog Thoughts Nov to Jan

Saturday, November 19, 2005
Well after months of bouncing around in my head this idea of riding to Pikes Peak for the Pikes Peak Marathon is looking more and more likely.

Yesterday at work I talked with John and Dawn. They helped convince me that the idea is special. Their enthusiasm helps make me feel better; that it might work to raise PKD awareness.
Mike of Big Shark Cycling gave me a nice breeze west. I visited the shop on Wednesday asking for the name of someone in the touring team and wondering about how to get a spinning bike for training. Mike gave me the name of an experienced touring rider and suggested a bankruptcy auction that was coming up for a health club. I bought 5 spinning bikes {I fixed up and then sold 4 of them to pay for the one I kept}. When I talked with Mike, the rider from Big Shark Touring he thought others might be interested and might be interested himself. It sure would be cool to ride out of St. Louis with a team of riders. Really cool!

January 5, 2006
Well things are moving like crazy now and it feels great. Everything seems to be coming together and it feels as though I am following a path and plan set by God before me. Yesterday I called the local coordinator of the PKD group in St. Louis. I know Tim only a little. I caught Tim at work and unloaded a ton of ideas on him. He gave me a guy to call at PKD Foundation. Id talked Dave of PKD Foundations ear off with my ideas and enthusiasm I felt my voice literally fading.

Mike at Big Shark gave me some great advice and some other contacts for training tips.
Training wise I’m really happy with the spinner bike. This weekend I fixed my set up in the basement and hooked up the cable to the mini TV. I’ve been watching movies while I ride. Waking up to ride a spinner and watch movies is kinda cool. I’m giving up running days for riding but Im still keeping the run mileage high enough, I think.

January 9, 2006
I’m going, real. I met tonight with the local PKD Foundation group here in St. Louis, a small but enthusiastic group that organizes support for those afflicted with PKD. Their encouragement was great. Its one thing to think something might work and another to hear it from others. PKD Foundation in KC is thinking about the big picture but to hear the enthusiasm of these people who suffer from PKD in their families or in their kidneys was enough to confirm for me that I’m going.

At work today, Tim, introduced me to someone as the guy going to Pikes Peak Marathon on his bike. I’ve been keeping it quiet at work telling only a couple people. Apparently its getting out. But Tim was so enthusiastic that any doubts carry less weight. With the support of Michelle and the support of Fox Sports Net I’ve got to go.

Tonight at the PKD meeting I talked a little about our family and PKD. A couple times in my life I’ve had urinary kidney problems. A kidney stone and in another case I had blood in my urine. My doctor requested kidney scans both times which would have identified PKD if I have it. Scans showed no problems but it was almost as if I didn’t want to know. What could I do? We need to support research and efforts to provide something people can do to cure their PKD.

January 11, 2006
Dave Kappas said the PKD Foundation will figure out how they want to proceed this week. I’m anxious. To achieve our goals of PKD awareness we really need their help. This idea is pretty far out there and its hard to know whether PKD Foundation will see the potential and frankly whether they can help.
I’m on the Pastoral Cabinet at Trinity Lutheran Church. We had a meeting tonight and told everyone my plans. I told the guys how it feels like a calling. So many things have happened to put me in the right place at the right time. In our closing prayer for the meeting Pastor included the Ride to Pikes Peak and the hope and prayer for success educating others about PKD and registering additional organ donors. Everyone offered their help. I’m encouraged.

January 17, 2006
The Royals have agreed to provide recognition for PKD Foundation before the game on August 6th. This is a huge boost for the ride and an excellent chance to get some Kansas City area publicity. Its also a great opportunity to continue the momentum thats been going since the beginning of January. A lot has been accomplished but there is so much more to do. In fact the ideas an opportunities seem limited only by the amount of time mom and I can commit to working on them.
Mom and I talked last night and she’s planning to tell the Kidney Foundation in Indianapolis about our plans. I am sending her the overview I wrote so she can share.

January 21, 2006
Caught a cold. Feel crappy. Word is going around the office about the trip. I need to tell my boss I’m going to be gone for 3 weeks. FOX is a good company and I’ve been working here for 9 years. It should work out.

January 27, 2006
Cold lasted 5 days. At least it didn't settle into my chest and I'm back to full speed on training. Unfortunately my son caught it and now I'm home from work with a sick kid.

January 28, 2006
Great day!! Great run this morning with Tom, Matt and Doug. Ran around Castlewood Park, new trails along the Meramec River and up on the bluffs. Hard miles. Rain, slick mud. Good stuff.

I called mom and she shared the incredible news that she's got the trailer RV she has been talking about. Our home away from home for three weeks. It sleeps 5 or so and she can pull it with her Blazer. She's really looking forward to using it for RTPP. She's probably told more people about our plans than I have!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home